QUESTION: What Is Your Favorite Slot Game?
ANSWER: I’m happy to stand around for a few minutes and rattle off a list of the slots that I play most frequently. By the time I’ve finished, I’m confident that the individual is armed with a whole new selection of games to experiment with.
In recent months, however, I’ve grown tired of people accosting me on the street with questions about my favorite slots. Some folks want to argue with me about my selections, while others are just plain creepy. That’s why I’ve decided to create a list to help players find new slot opportunities, as well as remove the temptation to harass me while I’m buying a cup of coffee.
- Best Casino for Live Dealer Games
- Accepts all Countries and US States
The Best Slot Machines
The slots on this list are my current favorites, although their reasons for inclusion vary wildly. Some appeal to my pocketbook, as they offer generous payouts in exchange for a nominal risk. Others are included because of their superior graphics and the overall quality of gameplay. In either case, it’s hard to go wrong.
I should also mention that I’m partial to playing slots online, so many of the games listed here are available exclusively from online casinos. It’s not that I have an aversion to playing slots in person, but I live a considerable distance from any brick-and-mortar gambling establishments, and I’m way too cheap to constantly spring for trips to Las Vegas or Atlantic City. I’m also fond of playing in my underwear, something that’s not really an option at most land-based casinos.
Listed in no particular order, my favorite slot games include:
1. The Dark Knight – If you’ve ever dreamed of prowling the rooftops of Gotham City as Batman, this licensed product from Microgaming should help you live out your fantasies. The primary enemy is the Joker, and you’ll need to stay one step ahead of him and his minions in order to collect the top prizes (including a progressive jackpot).
2. Triple Double Diamond – I played this slot during my last visit to the Bellagio in Las Vegas, and I can’t wait to go back and try it again. In August of this year, it paid out over a million dollars in jackpots, so every spin brings the possibility of a life-changing payday. Just make sure you bring your piggy bank, though, as the denomination runs all the way up to $100.
3. Lara Croft – Tomb Raider – When I bought the original Playstation console in the ‘90s, my first game purchase was the original Tomb Raider. I immediately fell in love with Lara Croft, the sexy British explorer with twin pistols and an impressive bust. The franchise is still going strong, and this licensed game allows players to share in Lara’s adventures and possibly take home some loot in the process. A slot sequel has also been made, and it’s just as entertaining as the original.
4. Majestic Lions – I get a certain thrill from playing hard-to-find slots, and there’s no better option than this custom game that only exists inside the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The theme showcases the company’s famous feline mascot, and the top available prize is one-million dollars.
5. Hellboy – Based on the Dark Horse comic book from Mike Mignola, Hellboy has also been adapted into a pair of movies starring Ron Perlman in the title role. The characters and graphics are suitably funky, and anyone who grew up reading comics should get a kick out of this Microgaming product.
6. Thunderstruck II – The original Thunderstruck has become legendary among online gaming enthusiasts for its solid graphics and sophisticated gameplay. The sequel takes things to a whole new level, allowing you to live out the adventures of the Norse gods while competing for a generous payday.
7. The Lord of the Rings – Based on the classic Peter Jackson film trilogy, this online slot has 5 reels and a whopping 243 paylines. I never get tired of looking at Liv Tyler and Cate Blanchett, but the game also manages to keep my interest with scatters, wilds, bonus games, and free spins.
8. The Beverly Hillbillies: Millionaire Mile – This video slot from IGT includes the familiar theme music from the classic TV comedy, as well as numerous clips from the show. Five bonus rounds are included in the game, and my favorite happens to be Elly May’s Match Bonus. This requires the player to help Elly May find a suitable husband, and you’ll do so by choosing various gifts presented by suitors. If you match enough items, you might even walk away with the silver or gold progressive.
9. Playboy Online Slot – Developed by Microgaming, this online slot machine allows you to enjoy the Playboy lifestyle in the privacy of your own home. Beautiful women are included on every screen, and even those who fail to win any money may still walk away feeling like winners. However, anyone who’s expecting a lot of nudity should temper their expectations.
10. Centipede – When I wrote this article, Centipede was yet to be offered in casinos. I did see it demonstrated at a trade show, however, and I’m already counting the days until I can play it at a land-based establishment. This IGT game works much the same as the arcade classic from the 1980s, but points earned by shooting various insects are converted directly into cash. I don’t know what the future of gaming holds, but I’d love to this style of skill-based machine become the latest craze.
The next time someone asks you “What is your favorite slot game,” you’ll have a number of new options to throw out. Game developers are constantly looking for new ways to attract players, so keep in mind that even the hottest slot machine will be forced to make way for newer models. A few have proven to be enduring classics; so at least a few of the entries on this list should be hanging around in a decade. If not, this article should still serve as an interesting piece of nostalgia about a bygone era in gambling.